Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Gourmet Pizzas Fast

     I love to cook from scratch. Had I the time and the money I would cook everything I make from scratch, however this is the real world with jobs and family and I just don't. It is easy to think however that there are only two categories of cooking- completely from scratch or completely processed and packaged. I like to think of things in shades of gray, and compromise. My wife and I do make pizzas from scratch on occasion but not always. We did however stumble upon a half-way point between fresh and frozen when it comes to pizzas. We buy the basic cheese pizzas from Costco which are relatively inexpensive and we spiff them up with some delicious ingredients.



     I am fond of seafood on pizza. Tonight I made a marinated black tiger shrimp pizza with fresh garlic, red onion, baby bell peppers with feta cheese and cherry tomatoes. It was delicious even if I do say so myself! I buy the frozen shrimp but always the ones that are still raw. I find the ones that have been cooked and frozen turn out like rubber. 

Marinated Black Tiger Shrimp Pizza with Feta Cheese and Veggies:

1       medium frozen cheese pizza
12     black tiger shrimp
1       baby red bell pepper
1       baby yellow bell pepper
5       slices of red onion
1       clove of fresh garlic
6       cherry tomatoes (halved)
1/2    cup of feta cheese
1/4    cup of cheddar cheese
1       tsp. of dried oregano

Marinade for black tiger shrimp:

1       tbsp. of sesame oil
1       tbsp. of fish sauce
1       splash of lemon juice
1/4    tsp. of cayenne pepper
1       clove of fresh garlic (crushed)
1       dash of salt

Directions:

Thaw shrimp in cold water for 15 minutes. Drain excess water, remove shell and tails and cut in half. Combine all of the ingredients in the marinate and place shrimp in the marinade for at least 30 min. 

Spray cookie sheet with Pam or oil and place the pizza on the sheet. Spread the shrimp pieces and onion evenly on the pizza. Add the peppers, then the feta cheese, then the cheddar, and lastly place the halved cherry tomatoes. Lightly dust the pizza with dried oregano. Bake at the usual temp for 15-20 min. (depending on pizza instructions) until the crust is golden brown or to your liking. Let the pizza rest for a few minutes after it has finished cooking. Cut and serve. Delicious gourmet in 55 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment